– The terms refer to the way a computer’s processor (CPU) handles information. 64-bit systemhandles large amounts of RAM more effectively than 32-bit system.
– Refers to the size of the data types it handles & the size of its registry
– 64 bit processor is capable of storing 264 computational values (incl. memory addresses)
– 64 bit processor is able to access over 4 billion time as much physical memory than 32-bit processor
– 64 bit processors are capable of utilizing much more (handling more amount of RAM)
– if you have less than 4GB RAM, you don’t need 64-bit CPU
– applications that tend to use large amounts of memory may show vast improvements with the upgraded processor (image/video editing software, 3d rendering, video games)